Anything is Possible!!!

Anything is Possible!!!

June 29, 2015

Let's Get Wild: Your 2015 Offseason Primer

This summer is going to be fun. Your guide and resources for all that is going on in this crazy summer of free agency.

by Austin Peters
 
It's here folks!

Free agency is the craziest time of the year, where heads spin and dollar signs fly.  Players change teams and front offices spend every waking hour near the phone, waiting to hear the next bit of news.

This all can be a lot sometimes, and it may seem confusing if you don't take the time to do the research.  That's why for the first time, I'm deciding to try my best to give you all the most information possible.

Free agency and player movement are what I love the most about basketball.  It's the fun stuff; dreaming of who is going to play where, thinking about how a player will fit in with his new team, and criticizing a front office's every little twitch.  Over the last few years, I've spent countless hours reading and memorizing facts and definitions involved with the NBA's CBA in order to be well versed in team mechanics.

Before the clock strikes midnight on July 1 and all hell breaks loose, I've put together a plethora of resources for all you fans who are interested in tracking this player movement and free agency period.  Using the Google Drive, I've put all these resources in links that I will continue to update each day as the summer progresses.

The first two documents are a few lists of notes that will be helpful in order to know the important rules of how teams will build their rosters during free agency.  The first one is just a few general guidelines to understand about players and the types of contracts that teams can sign them too.  The other is all of the calculations that I've researched and done in order to give concrete numbers to the notes that I've made for you all.

Salary Notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wDpCwsjOwpSgszXeQFgviFSHWFjVRVQYlP9JC1ogEjk/edit?usp=sharing

Calculations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c0q28LYez9nsGQi45MV-mCLSjfPejr7MhRT2qe7zKHU/edit?usp=sharing

The other three documents are spreadsheets that you can track all of the fun stuff.  Last year, I kept a spreadsheet tracking all of the player movement from team to team.  This year, I've taken it a few steps further.  In addition to the player movement, I've decided to track every team's cap space throughout the course of the period.  This will help give you all an idea of how much room your favorite team has.  Last, I had some fun and went ahead and projected player contracts for every single free agent this offseason.  Those will be fluid as well as new information on contracts gets reported.

Offseason Movement: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lzMgeeSPnV82MwG0t75g8td0px8ZZ2k_zwuLABE9V9U/edit?usp=sharing

Cap Space: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16Agdd-muTeHlWAcXsFlWialvjK8EXdCpfZyCRZbRWII/edit?usp=sharing

Player Salaries: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eCduKDHX_vkutg5lji25NVO4uPAymyVP3UqLoZLaBTo/edit?usp=sharing

A few other resources that will be helpful are Larry Coon's cbafaq which gets into all the nitty gritty details of the CBA.  I also religiously follow basketballinsiders.com because they have the best player salary page on the web.  I've written a few other hopefully helpful breakdowns of some essential information needed to know about free agency on here before.  I've written about the max salary and also about cap holds, both important phrases that are needed to know during July.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please do not hesitate to let me know via twitter or email. I will try my best to have everything done on time and up to date for everyone.

Happy July!

No comments:

Post a Comment